Monday, 07 November 2011

Choosing Freedom

23 October 2011

We talk, we cry, we even laugh but we don’t touch. We search each other’s faces for answers, look away when the emotion becomes too much, draw invisible circles on the quilt, breathe deeply and try again.

We walk, hands in pockets, staring blankly at the horizon taking turns to bear our souls, voice our regrets.

We row out deep into nowhere and we bury our dreams in a watery grave, one by one.

We silently stare into the flames of the bonfire, we’re aching, we’re empty. There are no more words, no more thoughts.

We quietly settle in the lounge, each on our own couch, the light of the screen flickering across our faces. We watch one of our old favourites and it stirs up memories, emotions. They rise like sediment from the bottom of a vessel of water and the tears start flowing again.

I thought this was it, true love. That I was living “happily ever after”. I thought it had been years since the last act of infidelity, but I guess I should have known that it was just too good to be true.

At least I can walk away and say that I have loved. I have loved with deep abandon and I have known what it is like to be loved. What it feels like to trust so much that I could lean back and let go. What it feels like to be desired. To gently be brought to a place of such ecstasy and beautiful fulfillment that I would cling to him, breathe in the smell of his skin, his hair and cry softly. To have him gently run his hands over my curves as he would slip in behind me, hold me close and breathe words of adoration into my hair. He touched me deeply, touched my heart and my soul and I love him for it. But I cannot share this precious place of intimacy with anyone else, reconcile myself with an “open marriage” and the very real possibility of HIV. So I set him free. And I set me free, free to heal, to learn how to trust again and free to love with total abandon once more…

No comments:

Post a Comment